Between Shades of Gray - Ruta Sepetys “A beautifully painted portrait of one of histories greatest least known tragedies.”

Posted on Bookalico.us

It has taken me a few days to come to terms with how to review this book. I want you to know how important it is, and I want you to know how powerful the book itself is and I am coming up short for a way to tell you that without seeming to only build hype or generally being too enthusiastic.

I tried so hard to remember if this part of Stalin’s reign was detailed to me in a class at school and I do not believe it was covered in any class. This being new information to me aided in me becoming addicted to this novel. I was literally awake until three am because I could not put the book down until I came to the conclusion of the story.

Sepetys pains a grim picture of life in Lithuania during the early parts of Russian occupation. She doesn’t use sensationalism to guide the reader into the gloomy setting that populates the book almost a character unto itself.

We begin in Lithuania at a University Professor’s house. His family is arrested and put in a military vehicle to be transported to a train station where you follow the families story as told by Lina in an Anne Frank diary style and in the first person.

Lina’s artistry becomes a great focus for the reader, the explanations of what she is drawing helps paint the gray scenery and shows us how she is feeling each moment. At times the artistry itself leads the reader into a flashback scenario where we are able to see just how carefree Lina’s life was before her arrest.

Lina and her family endure hardships that I can’t even fathom to imagine. I was entranced, horrified, and in tears through most of my five or so hours reading this book. Even as the reader it is hard to maintain any hope for the situation to improve.

Sepetys is an amazing writer who uses a simplistic writing style that suits the grim situation fantastically. I am in awe of her use of language to bring emotion to my reading when I generally do not emote for the sake of emoting. This book made me feel sad, hopeless, worried, horrified and so much more.

There are so many interesting facts well placed throughout the chapters. I also was unaware that Lithuania, Estonia and other countries just were not on the map at all from the time of Stalin’s occupation until 1991.

This is a book that you absolutely must read.

This book was picked up at ALA for review purposes.